Sunday, October 21, 2012

A long overdue update

I can't believe it's been more than two months since I lasted updated this blog.  I don't know how I was on such a roll in Spain but once I got back to America--poof! there went my inspiration!  I'd like to blame the sudden onset of writer's block on the start of school but you'd think getting back into the routine of reading and writing like a madwoman would have actually jumpstarted my creative processes.  Anyway, I'm hoping to get back into the groove of updating, even if it's just a little note here and there.


The last month or so has been a series of attempts to figure out what I want to do once I graduate.  The final verdict I came to?  Graduate school.  I'm extremely excited by the idea of devoting another 4-6 years of study to further exploration of Spanish literature but I have to say, I'm incredibly intimidated by the application process alone.  After a few weeks of research regarding programs, I've narrowed it down to eight universities: University of Michigan, Brown, Yale, UT Austin, UCLA, Stanford, New York University (they offer a one-year MA program in Madrid of all places!) and UC Davis (MA).  I have some doubt as far as my chances of getting accepted into many of these programs but I've done well in my coursework here and I want to throw my hat in the ring and see what happens.  For each application, I'm required to submit a statement of purpose, a personal statement and a writing sample, among the standard supplementary materials (GRE scores, transcripts, etc.).  I'm a little bogged down by all that I'll need to have completed by the end of December/beginning of January but I made a schedule to help me think of the process of applying to graduate school as a series of steps.  One thing at a time, right?

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my classes and I can't believe that this is my last year here at Cal.  I don't think I ever anticipated my time as an undergraduate student to fly by so quickly.  Nevertheless, I'm anxious to see what the future holds (though not so anxious to dig into some of this work) and I can't wait to see where these applications take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment