Monday, February 20, 2012

'If only, If only': A Wishlist for February


1.  OPI Holland Collection, $8.50 each.
Every time OPI announces the lineup for its next collection my heart skips a beat.  This spring it's all about the OPI Holland Collection, a line of shimmers and cremes inspired by the Dutch homeland.  My personal favorites are Vampsterdam, Dutch 'Ya Just Love OPI? and Wooden Shoe Like To Know?  Take a look at these swatches and you'll want to get your hands on a few bottles yourself!

Known for her portrayal of the fabulous Kelly Kapoor on NBC's The Office, Mindy Kaling can now add book author to her resumé!  Reminiscent of Tina Fey's 'Bossypants,' 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)' is a collection of essay about Kaling's early life and career, intertwined with short observational essays about her friends, family, and relationships. As if her hilarious screenwriting wasn't enough to impress me--I eagerly await my chance to read her comic memoir!

3.  Midnight in Paris, about $18.
A must-have for anyone attached to the arts, Midnight in Paris is a romantic comedy film, written and directed by the one and only Woody Allen, that centers on a small group of Americans visiting the French capital for business and pleasure. The protagonist, played by Owen Wilson, is forced to confront the shortcomings of his relationship with his fiancée and their divergent goals due to his magical experiences in the city beginning each night at midnight. Attention literary/art enthusiasts: Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí, T.S. Eliot, Henri Matisse and F. Scott Fitzgerald all make an appearance.

This year Santa (or should I say Mom and Dad) brought me my very own espresso maker and milk steamer.  Needless to say, I've been experimenting with various syrup combinations ever since.  Starbucks offers what I originally thought was seasonal: the inexplicably delicious Toffee Nut latte.  I'd love to add the sugar-free syrup to my collection.

On a recent outing to Barnes & Noble, I stumbled across this very 'interesting' cookbook.  After any extended length of time with me, you'll find rather quickly that I have quite the sweet tooth, especially when it comes to baked goods.  Cupcakes, my personal favorite to eat, are also one of my favorites to make.  The unorthodox recipes appeal to my morbid fascination with calaveras, gravestones and vital organs.  Check out this website for a few photos of the wonderfully creepy cupcake creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment